- To support ongoing engagement of the university's retired full-time faculty in scholarship, research, and creative activity
- To mentor faculty (especially junior faculty) and both undergraduate and graduate students
- To support both disciplinary and interdisciplinary dialogue through regular colloquia, lectures, seminars, and conferences
- To serve the community in the form of consultations and lectures
- To foster the creation of an on-campus community of retired faculty, centered in the Emeritus Academy facilities on the third floor of the Tierney Alumni House
The Emeritus Academy is administratively housed in the Office of the Provost. The director regularly consults with an interdisciplinary Advisory Committee about the Academy's programs and operations and delivers an annual report to the Provost's Office.